• May Bee

Instagram’s tumultuous relationship with creators is becoming more heated

Executive Summary

  • Instagram’s tumultuous relationship with creators

  • TikTok wants you to send video resumes directly to brands to land your next gig

  • The Influencer Marketing Agency That Cares About Influencer Mental Wellbeing



Instagram’s tumultuous relationship with creators is becoming more heated


Among Instagram creators, there has been a lot of backlash. Many people feel deceived by the platform that gave them the opportunity to be creators in the first place. Chloe Lloyd, a model and creative with 336,000 Instagram followers and 75,000 TikTok followers, tweeted, "It's becoming disheartening to use the app with so much inconsistency and uncertainty when you publish now." “In order to ‘succeed,' creators are being compelled to completely change who we are.” Instagram declined to react to Ad Age, citing Mosseri's claims instead.


Micro-influencers—those with a smaller but more targeted audience—don't have the means or time to produce additional videos. As a result, they are adamantly opposed to the change. “The shift confirms what we already know: IG is solely interested in immediate returns. This will push those who give them big money forward, making it harder than ever for small businesses, small creators, and regular users to be seen," says Jenna Polyniak, an Instagram creator with only 2,000 Instagram followers but 60,000 on TikTok, where she has recently focused more of her efforts.



Jessica van Dop DeJesus, a travel blogger with 14,600 Instagram followers who has worked with clients such as Nespresso, Hilton, and HarperCollins, says that adding more video to her schedule is just not feasible in terms of time and money. She currently plays a video editor on retainer $2,000 to $3,000 every month to make Reels out of eight long-form videos that take time to produce. 75 percent of the channel is funded by brand sponsorships and freelancing assignments, but she claims the remaining 25% is self-funded.






TikTok wants you to send video resumes directly to brands to land your next gig


TikTok is testing a new pilot program that will add a little LinkedIn to the young video-based social network.


Beginning today, TikTok will allow users to submit video resumes to participating firms such as Target, Chipotle, Shopify, Meredith, NASCAR, and the WWE. The organization encourages applicants to showcase their abilities in a unique way by using the hashtag #TikTokResumes in their posts.


TikTok's latest move to streamline the connection between marketers and creators is the pilot program, which gives both parties even more motivation to invest time and money in the platform.


Sinan Sahin: Running A Micro-Influencer Marketing Agency That Cares About Influencer Mental Wellbeing


“A Forbes pre-COVID survey indicated that 47 percent of influencers in a sample of 200 had bad mental health as a result of their jobs. It's a minefield out there on social media. Being in command is quite challenging. There's trolling and cyberbullying. Micro-influencers are working alone, doing photo sessions in their beds, and not collaborating. As an influencer agency, we've spent a lot of time and effort addressing the causes that contribute to influencers' poor mental health. We bring teams together. Our entire idea is based on collaboration rather than isolation.”


Scintillate differs from other influencer marketing firms in this regard, according to Sinan.


“We aren't only concerned with getting the work done, as many agencies are. Because these folks are working alone, our main core value is that we must help them. When you need someone to talk to, when your self-esteem is down, or when you've been harassed online, we have a wellbeing manager. It is something that has set us apart. When I question influencers why they choose Scintillate over another agency, they cite opportunity, as well as a sense of community, family, and support for the mental health component. Campaigns will be successful if people are feeling upbeat. It will not be successful if they are depressed and negative.”



Interested in Influencer news?

Follow Kalo Insider!



1 view0 comments

Recent Posts

See All